Advantages of Building with Cedar
Professionals in the construction industry choose cedar wood as their building material of choice for several reasons. Not only is it breathtakingly beautiful in the home, but cedar blends in perfectly with nature and provides a warmth and timelessness that’s hard to resist. However, a key reason why homeowners opt for cedar siding and decking is simply because of its sustainability.
Using cedar wood in the home lends it warmth and an attractive appearance in both exteriors and interiors.
ADVANTAGES OF CEDAR
- Nothing compares to the natural beauty and aesthetic appeal of cedar in home building.
- Like snowflakes, no two wood grains are the same—every cedar building is an original.
- Western Red Cedar has a pleasing pink to reddish tone.
- Western Red Cedar is also easy to work with since it is a softwood.
- Cedar wood doesn’t shrink, warp, or rumple like certain other lumbers. This is important to consider in humid climates.
- The cell structure of cedar provides automatic thermal insulation to a building.
- In addition, the cell structure offers inherent noise-reduction capabilities.
- The naturally occurring thermal properties thereby lower energy costs of heating and cooling the home.
- Decay resistant for over 40 years of life.
- Insect resistant.
- Extremely versatile and may be stained or left untreated.
- May be stained in a variety of colours.
- Biodegradable and recyclable—cedar is an excellent choice for preserving the environment.
- Lifespan can be increased with regular applications of sealant.
- Pitch and resin-free.
- Receives stain easily.
- Cedar wood is durable and requires replacement only after a long period of time when compared to other home building materials.
- A renewable building material unlike man-made materials that end up in our landfills.
- Cedar requires less energy to produce than concrete or steel and is sustainably sourced in British Columbia.
- The manufacture of wood products produces far fewer toxins and greenhouse gases than any man-made construction material.
- The manufacture of recycled steel greatly affects air and water quality as opposed to forest regeneration, which creates more trees and thereby, more oxygen. Trees also absorb carbon dioxide.
- Cedar frame construction is easier to insulate to today’s high standards.
- Local cedar requires shorter transport time and thereby produces less of a carbon footprint.
- Cedar wood minimizes the accumulation of dust and bacteria.
Popular home building applications for cedar encompass blinds, shutters, decks, exterior and interior trim, shingles, and siding. A well-designed cedar deck offers instant contemporary style to an aging home. A new cedar roof blends in beautifully with many homes. In addition, cedar wood may have unique knots and twists that can be used for decorative functions, such as new trim and windowsills.
We are committed to providing sustainable forest products to ensure the renewal of our forests for generations to come. Longhouse has maintained FSC (Forest Stewardship Council)® certification by the Rainforest Alliance since 2007, and we are also a member of the Canada Green Building Council and the Greater Vancouver Home Building Association. Longhouse Forest Products also belongs to the Living Building Challenge Foundation and Passive House Canada, through which we continue our commitment to helping design and build energy-efficient and affordable homes for Canadians.
Founded in Parksville in 1985, at Longhouse Forest Products we are proud to provide our customers with the highest-quality locally sourced forestry products. Over the past four decades, Longhouse has been involved in more than 14,000 construction and design projects around the world. We manufacture custom cut yellow cedar decking, solid wood flooring, cedar fascia and soffits, different varieties of FSC (Forest Stewardship Council)® certified cedar siding, Douglas Fir products, Japanese grade spruce siding, white oak flooring and specialize in producing locally-sourced Western Red Cedar products.
With our decades of experience in the forestry product industry and numerous accolades, Longhouse can provide the products and the know-how to turn your dream project into a reality. Call us toll-free at 1-800-811-2010 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more about the products and services we can provide for you.